Sunday, May 21, 2006

Good Riddance To Naked Rubbish

So. Andrew Martinez -- a.k.a. "Naked Guy" -- has gone to that great nudist colony in the sky. To which I say, about time.

Surely you remember Naked Guy. He's the nutjob who was famous for fifteen minutes back in 1992. Not for any great attribute, skill or achievement. Just for going to school naked. Every day. Until even his notoriously liberal college, Berkeley, had no choice but to expel him. According to the AP report, Naked Guy committed suicide at age 33, after 10 years of "halfway houses, psychiatric institutions, occasional homelessness and jail," all due to -- brace yourselves -- mental illness.

No. Couldn't be. Naked Guy? Crazy? The Devil you say.

Either way, I'm glad he's gone. I'm all for freedom of expression, but as J.S. Mill once said, "your freedom to expose your naked ass ends when it stands a chance of leaving skidmarks on any public seat I might wind up using." Or something to that effect.

And now that I think about it, I could care less about freedom of expression. Anything that leads to naked guys wandering the streets is strictly for the hippies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shame on you. A sick man has suffered and died-- and you revel in his demise. Shame on you.

Oswald Carver said...

If it makes you feel any better, I used to make fun of him while he was alive and in the spotlight, too. I'm no Johnny-come-lately.

But while we're on the subject of shame, shame on you for leaving anonymous notes in which you shame people. You, you -- shameful shamer.

Shamelessly,
Oswald J. Carver III